Created on Jun 30, 2019
Updated on Sep 10, 2021
This post describes the procedure of how to install and run NVIDIA® Firmware tools (MFT) v4.17.0 on VMware ESXi 6.7/7.0 versions.
NVIDIA ConnectX®-5/6 NATIVE ESXi is a software stack which operates across all NVIDIA network adapter solutions supporting up to 100Gb/s Ethernet (ETH) and PCI Express 3.0 and 4.0 uplinks to servers.
Hardware and Software Requirements
1. A server platform with an adapter card based on one of the following NVIDIA Technologies’ HCA devices:
2. Installer Privileges: The installation requires administrator privileges on the target machine.
3. Device ID: For the latest list of device IDs, please visit NVIDIA website.
NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT)
The NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) package is a set of firmware management tools used to:
- Generate a standard or customized NVIDIA firmware image
- Querying for firmware information
- Burn a firmware image
The setup includes ESXi 6.7/7.0 server installed with ConnectX-5/6 adapter card.
1. Go to the MFT web page: http://www.NVIDIA.com/page/management_tools.
2. Enable SSH Access to ESXi server.
3. Log into ESXi vSphere Command-Line Interface with root permissions.
4. Download the MFT for VMware vib package to the "/tmp" directory.
5. Verify that the files are placed in the /tmp directory.
5. Get the adapter list.
6. Install the vib package.
7. The MFT tools are not located in the default path. In order to run any MFT tool either:
- Enter the full path. For example: /opt/mellanox/bin/flint
- Add MFT path to the default system path by running: export PATH=$PATH:/opt/mellanox/bin .
Please note, the path is temporary and will hold only until reboot.
8. Enter Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.
9. Reboot the server.
10. Exit Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.
11. Start the mst driver. Run.
12. To print the current status of NVIDIA devices.
13. Show the devices status with detailed information.
14. Query the device.
Commands and Switches Description: