Created on Jun 4, 2019
Updated on Sep 10, 2021
This post describes the procedure of how to Update Firmware for ConnectX®-5 VPI PCI Express Adapter Cards (InfiniBand, Ethernet, VPI) on VMware ESXi 6.5/6.7 versions.
- NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) Product Page
- Ethernet Cards - Overview
- InfiniBand Cards - Overview
- How-to: Install NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) on VMware ESXi 6.7/7.0
Hardware and Software Requirements
1. A server platform with an adapter card based on one of the following NVIDIA Technologies’ HCA devices:
2. Installer Privileges: The installation requires administrator privileges on the target machine.
3. Device ID: For the latest list of device IDs, please visit NVIDIA website.
NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT)
The NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) package is a set of firmware management tools used to:
- Generate a standard or customized NVIDIA firmware image
- Querying for firmware information
- Burn a firmware image
Updating Firmware for a Single NVIDIA Network Interface Card (NIC)
This part describes the procedure for burning firmware using the NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT).
As a sample, we are going to update FW for vmnic0.
1. Download and Install the NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) by How-to: Install NVIDIA Firmware Tools (MFT) on VMware ESXi 6.7/7.0 document.
2. Log into ESXi vSphere Command-Line Interface with root permissions.
3. Get the device location on the PCI bus.
4. Get the Card type, Part Number, PSID (firmware identification) and FW version using the command.
Please save the PCI Device Name: mt4125_pciconf6 for using in step 12.Burning the firmware image to the Adapter Card
5. Download the correct firmware image zip file using the Firmware Download Table on the firmware Web page of your product's family -- save with a .zip extension.
Click Here for help in identifying your Adapter Card.
6. Unzip the binary image (.zip file).
7. Use SCP or any other file transfer method to copy to /tmp the bin file to the required ESXi host.
8. Log into a ESXi vSphere Command-Line Interface with root permissions.
9. Enter Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.
10. Verify that the file are placed in the /tmp directory.
11. To print the current status of NVIDIA devices.
12. Burn the firmware image to the Adapter Card.
flint -d <device_name> -i <binary image> b
To burn the 22.29.2002 version firmware image to an ConnectX-6DX ( Device Name: mt4125_pciconf6, Part Number: MCX623106AC-CDA_Ax, PSID: MT_0000000436) enter:
13. Reboot the server.
14. Log into a ESXi vSphere Command-Line Interface with root permissions.
15. Query the device. And verify FW version.
16. Exit Maintenance Mode the ESXi host.