Operating Systems: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016.
Using Hyper-V with VMQ
Mellanox WinOF includes a Virtual Machine Queue (VMQ) interface to support Microsoft Hyper-V network performance improvements and security enhancement.
VMQ interface supports:
- Classification of received packets by using the destination MAC address to route the packets to different receive queues
- NIC ability to use DMA to transfer packets directly to a Hyper-V child-partition's shared memory
- Scaling to multiple processors, by processing packets for different virtual machines on different processors.
To enable Hyper-V with VMQ using UI:
- Open Hyper-V Manager.
- Right-click the desired Virtual Machine (VM), and left-click Settings in the pop-up menu.
- In the Settings window, under the relevant network adapter, select "Hardware Acceleration".
- Check/uncheck the box “Enable virtual machine queue” to enable/disable VMQ on that specific network adapter.
To enable Hyper-V with VMQ using PowerShell:
- Enable VMQ on a specific VM: Set-VMNetworkAdapter <VM Name> -VmqWeight 100
- Disable VMQ on a specific VM: Set-VMNetworkAdapter <VM Name> -VmqWeight 0